Interior lives

Recent days have witnessed a series of two hour spurts of progress that seem to stretch out like silly putty, distorting time and results.  I finished the daggerboard case, multiple epoxy glue-ups that finally came together as a piece: case cheeks, logs, vertical spacers, floors, forward cap, and top cap.  I got them installed and the result is very solid, tied together and screwed into the keel and epoxied.

I shaped the daggerboard so that it would slide easily into the case, and profiled the cross section below the water line according to the plans.  Handplanes and random orbit sander did the trick.

I glued in the inwhale spacer blocks, figuring they would benefit from being painted with the interior of the hull, with only the tops varnished with the entire rail assembly.

The breasthook went in, with epoxy and bronze screws in from the outer rail.  Shaping it with a nice crown was pretty straightforward.

I put two coats of undercoat on the entire interior.  It went pretty well, but the finish coast... well, we'll see.  The first went on today, and it looks pretty sad.  But i think i did 6 exterior coats before I ended up with an acceptable finish.  The interior will me harder still I think.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Hand, Reef, and Steer

Gold Leaf Name Boards

Connecting a Chart Plotter, VHF, AIS Receiver and Tiller Pilot using the NMEA 0183 protocol