Actual Boat Parts

I bought wood for actual boat parts this week - 20 board feet of Alaskan yellow cedar.  Light, strong, straight-grained, and decay-resistant, it is an ideal boat building wood, and local, sort of.  Not that it is less expensive for that!

I took a guess at the amount, mostly simply wanting to get enough to get through the next phase of the build - transom, keelson, apron, and stem.  I'll have some wood left over from that, but not a lot.

Today I ripped the blanks I cut yesterday and ran them through the thickness planer until they were the desired dimensions.   I also made the bending jig for laminating the apron and the stem. The picture shows all the parts I prepped today (except the keelson).  I hope to do a glue-up tomorrow. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting a Chart Plotter, VHF, AIS Receiver and Tiller Pilot using the NMEA 0183 protocol

Re-powering s/v Ripple

Installing and Networking a Class B AIS Transceiver with a Chart Plotter and VHF Radio using NMEA 0183