Inwale parts (continued)

I worked on a lot of little bits today, as well as re-checking the inwale layout.  I also realized that I had to get the thwart ledgers (risers?) installed before putting on the inwales, else I'd have some difficult clamping challenges.

I glued up the breast hook yesterday, epoxy with two reinforcement lag bolts as splines (threaded into one half, heads cut off and seated into holes on the other half.  I set up a clamping jig to help assure a tight joint.  The result looks good and seems to fit the bow profile nicely, at least before the fitting and beveling necessary before glue-up.

Last night I finally figured out the dimensioning of the daggerboard case and the center thwart.  The case is dimensioned to the distance between the underside of the center thwart and the keelson.  The distance is established by setting a reference stick between the points where the the thwart ledgers will be set and measure the distance.  It was fooling around with this that brought me to the realization that I needed to install those ledgers before the inwales.

I shaped the simple ledgers (two per thwart) with my stationary belt sander and spiled the mating surfaces to the hull interior.  I realized I needed clamps for the glue-up, and made a dozen large size  wedge clamps from scrap plywood.

I also worked on daggerboard case parts, which required planing some cedar to the thickness of the daggerboard slot.  These will be sandwiched between plywood sides which I had previously made up with a layer of fiberglass cloth for added strength.  The case serves as a stanchion for the thwart as well as suffering significant stress as slot for the daggerboard, and I want it to be bombproof. 

Finally, I decided to do the ends of the spacer blocks slightly differently, So I set up a sanding spindle on the drill press and dressed the ends of the blocks I did yesterday, creating a simpler profile that should be easier to finish, and more elegant as well.

Perhaps the biggest challenge of the day, though, was cleaning up the shop.  It had been a while.

6 hours all in all.


Popular posts from this blog

Re-powering s/v Ripple

Connecting a Chart Plotter, VHF, AIS Receiver and Tiller Pilot using the NMEA 0183 protocol

Installing and Networking a Class B AIS Transceiver with a Chart Plotter and VHF Radio using NMEA 0183